Kepler Interactive is the first global game developer and publisher co-owned and run by creators. We nurture a vibrant ecosystem around Kepler and beyond, offering total artistic independence, exceptional operational support and cross-pollination between outstanding teams.
The group has seven founding members: A44, Alpha Channel, Awaceb, Ebb Software, Shapefarm, Sloclap and Timberline, and represents an international team of over 300 talents across 10 countries.
We are proud to be among the winners of "Best Places to Work 2022 UK" by GamesIndustry.Biz! and we’ve recently been certified as a UK Great Place to Work 2023; we intend to maintain our people centric approach as we continue grow.
Creativity is at the core of what we do, we look for strong voices with unique ideas and celebrate individuals who take pride in their craft while always nurturing a vibrant, inclusive community where people feel safe, respected and empowered.
We are looking for a Financial Account to join us, supporting our Canadian studios: Awaceb, based in Montreal, and Alpha Channel, based in Toronto, as well as working directly with Kepler Group Finance in London.
This standalone role reports directly into the Kepler Group Finance Director, with dotted lines to the Founders of the development studios and will provide the opportunity to get involved in all financial areas, both operationally and strategically.
The role will suit someone who enjoys variety in their role, being able to provide hands-on day to day running of the studios finances, whilst also supporting studios with set strategic aims in a relatively tight timeframes. Here you will do a bit of everything, operating autonomously within your studios, whilst remaining part of an experienced global team who can provide help or advice when needed.
What you will be doing:
- Overall responsibility for all day-to-day financial transactions, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, General Ledger and Payroll;
- Preparation of monthly management accounts for the studios including month-end variance analysis;
- Working with external advisors to ensure legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance with regulations;
- Own and manage employee processes, including for payroll, contractors, and including reporting and accounting where required;
- Develop and implement accounting policies and procedures, including internal controls;
- Working with the existing team running payments and banking to ensure robust management of cash;
- Liaise with the Group finance team regarding month-end and ad-hoc requests including Group audit queries; and
- Working with the Group finance team to implement NetSuite, or a suitable cloud-based accounting software, for the business.
- The most important part of your role is partnering closely with the studio Founders to develop a budget / forecast process, including detailed revenue computations, employee hiring plans, capital expenditures, cash burn, marketing budgets and planning;
- Own all aspects of the operating budget, both day-to-day and long term;
- Develop and maintain financial models, keeping the models updated for all hiring, direct costs and other key elements;
- Review and plan for game launches including cash and marketing allocations;
- Working directly with different game leads to provide up to date budgets;
- Communication with the Kepler Group FP&A Director regarding the forecast;
- Various financial analysis including KPI's on a by game basis; and
- Review and plan for game launches including cash and marketing allocations.
Other Responsibilities as required
- Maintain employee personal and benefits files where necessary;
- Own the legal responsibilities of the company including IP, Patents, Key Contracts;
- Maintain legal files and electronic database of all contracts; and
- From time to time, some involvement in the provision of office facilities may be required.
What we’re looking for from you:
- Qualified Accountant or equivalent, with experience within both practice and industry;
- Canadian national, fluent French and English required;
- Knowledge of Canadian statutory and tax reporting;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel;
- Proficiency with accounting systems required, Netsuite experience an added bonus;
- Able to manage conflicting priorities and tight deadlines to ensure key deliverables are met and is reliable;
- Communicate issues succinctly and in a timely manner. Proactively manage issues before they become problems;
- Detail oriented with the ability to keep focused on the big picture;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to explain complex accounting concepts to non-financial leaders;
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic and committed to seeing tasks through to completion;
- Able to develop key relationships across all functions throughout the company; and
- Experience in the video games industry is an advantage but in no way mandatory.
Hear from the studios you’d be supporting:
We are a small games studio based in Montreal, founded by two childhood friends from New Caledonia, a tiny island in the middle of the pacific. We have made a game inspired by our homeland, called Tchia. We strive to make poetic, soulful games that immerse players in beautiful and original worlds.
You can find out more about the studio, Tchia and the teams culture in their 3 part YouTube series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gywo1vTWZ44
At Alpha Channel we are creators and because of that, ideas are our greatest resource. We strive to create experiences that will not only entertain and challenge players but resonate emotionally, creating a timeless experience. We construct beautifully realised worlds, rich with history and imagination governed by player emergent driven design.
We’re part of the Kepler Interactive group, with access to exceptional operational support and cross-pollination between outstanding teams, whilst retaining full total artistic independence.
What we can offer you:
- We believe your salary should reflect the work you deliver, the skills you bring and the value you add, therefore we offer a competitive salary, 20% bonus and potential for stock option plans.
- 25 days holiday plus public holidays and end of year shutdown.
- We trust our people and therefore give them the flexibility to manage their own working hours and office location to best suit their needs.
- Personal training budget equivalent to £1,500 GBP per year, as well as access to conferences and formal training.
- Up to 5 days paid volunteering leave per year and £100 to a charity of your choice on your birthday and as an end of year gift.
How can we support you?
We want to set you up for success and make our recruitment process as accessible as possible for you. In your application, feel free to let us know if you need anything to make your experience or environment more comfortable. We'll do our best to support you!
Don't meet all the requirements?
We care more about outcomes than ticking boxes, and we know the perfect person for the role often has a CV that's a little different.
Research shows that women are particularly less likely to apply if they don't meet all the criteria in a job listing. If you're second guessing yourself, we encourage you to get in touch anyway.
Don't quit before you've started!